TV-to-Movie March 12, 2022 2454
(Updated: April 07, 2022)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

– 0:01:43 - I prefer Boy in the Iceberg but I understand that it's call The Last Airbender because of how important that is to the narrative in these first few episodes.

0:13:36 – I know why you cut "call me gran gran" but without that introduction, characters will refer to her by gran gran later in the series and by removing that you'll confuse a new viewer on who that is. Instead, I recommend keeping the line in, but remove the comedic audio cue that plays after she says the line and remove the pause, making it less of a joke.

0:25:26 - I love all the editing you do here, from the removing of the attempt to fly, to the masking of the little girl who literally is never seen before or ever again. I never thought to mask scenes and it gives me ideas for other shows.

0:42:59 - Not a big fan of the moon transition but you did what you could and there was a lot of editing in this scene already. I think if I hadn't seen the original I would have noticed but to me the moon sticks out like a sore thumb.

0:55:16 - I understand why you cut this as you explain in the cut list, but I feel the importance of the line is less about humor and more characterization of Katara and Sokka's relationship. They're 14 and 15 year old siblings, this is how they talk, even in potential dangerous situations. I would personally leave this moment untouched. Not sure if that affects the episode break, though.

1:04:23 – Call me a purist, but I don't like this change at all. The scene has its break at the end where the music ends and we see some main title credits. There's a pause, and then the original end credits music plays. That music is iconic, and absolutely does not ruin the mood of the ending scene. Personally, the only thing I would do is change the credits to fit all three episodes but I would not change the flow or regrade the credits either.

For the most part, I like this edit. It's higher in scope than your previous Avatar edit, with more scoring changes as well as some masking. I can tell you're a better editor than the first one you did, and your changes are appreciated and well thought out. On the other hand, I disagree with a few of your narrative choices due to the reasons I laid out above.

That being said, I'm very curious to see what you do in future chapters.

User Review

Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply April 17, 2022

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Really glad you enjoyed it overall :)

– 0:01:43 - yes, that was my reasoning, and also I didn't want this edit to have the same name as any single episode. I did consider that as my title though! "The Boy in the Iceberg" is a good title.

0:13:36 – I have to disagree. If Katara never called her gran gran again it wouldn't matter, and the fact that she does just means there are other opportunities for introduction. She is introduced as her grandmother and it couldn't be more obvious to the audience that "gran-gran" is an affectionate term they use for her. I don't see any difference between hearing her introduced as "gran gran" here and her being called that later.

0:25:26 - Thanks :) Definitely a tricky edit!

0:42:59 - that's fair enough, though I'm not sure what it was about it that made it jarring for you? (aka, the grading, length of shot etc.). I think it matches similar transitions that are used in the series and I felt that something extra was needed to communicate the passing of time. I will keep this in mind in case it doesn't work for others in the future, but if you don't think someone unfamiliar would have noticed then i'm content for the time being.

0:55:16 - it wasn't vital for the episode break to work, but it always irked me so I took the opportunity to remove it. I don't think it has any major effect on character and whether it stays or goes is subjective IMO.

1:04:23 – again, I think this is subjective. I wanted to retain the mood of the closing scene, so I opted to tweak it. I don't think I'm robbing the series of anything iconic, since there will be several edits and most of them will keep the original music. The very last episode in the series changes the music as well, so that alone I think justifies a similar change elsewhere.

Thank you again for the honest feedback. I appreciate hearing your thoughts :)

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments