Review Detail

9.7 16 10
(Updated: September 10, 2012)
Enjoyment

Review by L8wrtr — July 2, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

I avoided watching too many Episode II edits while I worked on my own, and I purposefully avoided this edit as I wanted to be able to simply sit back and enjoy it. Finally this morning I sat down with my two boys and took this in.

Normally I divide a review into various categories of video, audio etc.. but this is no ordinary edit.

Simply put, this is just hands-down, grin-inducing fun. Is it perfect? No. And it shouldn’t be. Rogue’s vision was perfect and his execution of that vision was even better. His use of the aged look, jump-cut splicing, audio imperfections etc allowed him to make editing choices simply not possible with a traditional edit.

The only comprable edit I can think of is The Man Behind the Mask’s War of the Stars. Never intended as a replacement edit, this is another example of the power and potential of fanediting as an artform. By ignoring the boundaries of creating a ‘traditional’ edit, Rogue has crafted something fun, original and FAST out of a completely pre-existing work of art (insert snicker here about referring to Attack of the Clones as art).

From a story standpoint, what’s truly fascinating about this edit is that it also works as a commentary on Episode II itself. The editor himself describes the chunks of deleted footage as contributing to plot holes, however really, that is not the case. The missing footage creates some continuity errors, but really, the critical plot points of Episode II are told in roughly a half hour. While the nuance of the story only makes sense if you’ve seen the original, a first-time watcher would get the basics of the story, and that is quite a feat.

So all-in-all, this is a resounding 10/10 for me. Amazing work Rogue, well-done.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments