Review Detail

7.8 12 10
(Updated: September 12, 2012)
Enjoyment

JasonN has not tried to be faithful to Kubrick’s intentions, which I think is a good thing. He has simply attempted to make a more watchable version of a very faulted movie. On the whole I think JasonN has succeeded.

JasonN has created in my opinion a much better version than the theatrical release. It flowed and was quite entertaining. The problems with the original are still present in the FanEdit but to a lesser extent. I agree with all of the changes made by the FanEditor in context with this version of A.I.

The ending is only slightly abrupt but very plausible as David has essentially given in to the human urges of jealousy and anger, so as a result commits a brutal act of robotic murder. As this is the case, he can just as easily feel the human emotions of depression or remorse and so end up killing himself. At the point at which he gains the irrational and illogical emotions so unique to the human, he has technically become one.

I do have to ask; If David shows such an aptitude for violence would not the line of ‘David Super-Toys’ not have to be redesigned and the inventor’s reaction be one of dismay?

I think if the very end had used some climactic music that reached a crescendo, rather than a fade-out in the middle of a piece of music, the ending would have more finality and not feel so uncertain. The idea works well, it just needs to be punctuated.

So on the whole this is a very interesting FanEdit with it’s own story to tell. It is enjoyable and well made. The editing is faultless, as is the sound editing. The DVD is simple with a static menu.

Entertainment 4 – Editing 5 – Audio – 5 – Presentation 3 = 4/5
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments