amazingspideruntold_front
Extended Edition November 27, 2020 9371
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

This is my first time writing a review about a fan-edit, so bear with me as I tackle the things I feel elevated The Untold Extended Edition when compared to the theatrical cut, and the things I feel could use some improvements/tweaking.

The majority of Masirimso17's additions to the narrative are excellent. The deleted scenes from The Amazing Spider-Man that were left on the cutting room floor in particular have been integrated with a lot of care and attention to detail. Those deleted scenes really give the movie the heart that I feel Marc Webb wanted for the theatrical cut. This is especially true for Dr. Connors who, through the addition of deleted scenes, becomes a character that is a lot more easy to empathize with (aside from the whole turning the citizens of Manhattan into lizard-people thing). That newfound empathy I had for the character made it all the more tragic when he gives in to his weaknesses and twists his dream into something truly monstrous.

Now, for the additions that I didn't like as much. The elephants in the room for me are the airplane scene and the Roosevelt Station subplot. In the theatrical cut of The Amazing Spiderman you piece together clues that you're given along the way in order to figure out what happened to Peter's parents. By the end of the movie you still have questions that you want answered, and that sense of intrigue is exciting! Outright showing the audience their fate in the beginning of the movie with the airplane crash takes away that sense of mystery and excitement. The payoff when Peter goes to Roosevelt Station and sees the message from his father IS important, but I think a more compelling way to reveal WHY Peter's parents had to leave would be to include the deleted graveyard scene (from TASM 2) with Richard Parker at the end of an Amazing Spider-Man 2 edit. The deleted graveyard scene answers the same question (why his parents left), but for me it has a lot more emotional impact and adds to the overall sense of mystery.

The only complaints I have on the technical side of things are nitpicks at best. There were a couple of music and scene transitions that were sort of noticeable for me, but they didn't detract from all the things I feel Masirimso17 absolutely nailed with this edit.

Despite my grievances and nitpicks, I feel like this is an AMAZING edit (get it, like the name of the movie?... I'll see myself out). The additional scenes have been woven into the movie incredibly well. I feel like the core of what makes Spider-Man special as a superhero are his relationships with the characters around him, and Masirimso17 has elevated those relationships significantly. If you already are a fan of The Amazing Spider-Man, or just Spider-Man in general, then I highly recommend giving this a watch.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
T
1 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments