FanFix November 12, 2020 9899
(Updated: December 01, 2020)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

I watched the shorter of the two available cuts.

Visual quality is good, but not on par with the blu-ray. Artifacting is noticeable in some darker areas (mostly early on in the film).

Audio-wise, I think there were a couple of small pops near the beginning, but I wasn't certain if that was on my end or not. I didn't stop to take notes or replay since I was watching with someone and didn't want to spoil their experience by faffing.

No complaints on the editing front. Very professionally put together. I didn't notice a single cut. Wraith has obviously done a lot of work throughout the film, and it's really well executed.

Narratively, it is superior to the theatrical for sure, but it still doesn't really fix the film for me (though no points off because Wraith has only improved things). It's nice to see all the deleted/promotional footage reincorporated into the film, but my main issues still stand:

- overreliance on (bad) CGI and virtually no attempt to incorporate practical fx (something the franchise is known for nailing)
- an evolutionary cycle that doesn't make sense in light of the xenomorph being in the early stages (I.e. Everything happens SUPER fast)
- an absolutely appalling character arc for our "man of faith", by which he mopes about not getting to be leader, then has it handed to him on a silver platter, then makes bad decisions, then makes more bad decisions based on his insecurity about previous decisions not going down well, then gets everyone killed, then gets himself killed. It's just the most bleak, depressing, pointless and (as far as I can tell) thematically irrelevant arc in the film.

Still, I enjoyed it, and I wasn't expecting to come out converted necessarily. The slower, more philosophical moments are still the film's strength, and basically anything with David and Walter.

Overall, a good edit of a bad film and I think Wraith achieved his goal - it's just not the cut for me. I think for now my go to for Covenant is still Job Willin's Paradise edit.

Big thanks to Wraith for putting this out there though. It easily trumps the theatrical and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a better alternative to the theatrical that isn't a fan mix.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
Owner's reply December 06, 2020

Thank you for your generous review.
I agree the whole "man of faith" arc is poor and has no real pay off. It also sits badly given how well he tests at the Phobos facility. Maybe that is why Phobos was cut? I did play with him being killed off earlier but it then means losing discussions which are worth seeing. plus a big re-jig of the running order. Then again, version 3? who knows. The flute scene still really annoys me. Maybe you should try out the longer version in a few months? Thanks again.
W

T
Top 50 Reviewer 103 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments