aliendarksteel_front
FanMix January 18, 2023 2294
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

Ridley Scott said when he released the Director's Cut that he only did it for the money and that the theatrical was his preferred cut. I would agree with him, as I find many of the DC's cuts unnecessary, especially Ripley's mistrust of Ash. This edit does a great job in reinstating those scenes and adding some of the better DC scenes like the crew listening to the distress transmission scene and the Lambert slapping Ripley scenes, and with top-knotch color grading to boot. It's a near-perfect cut, and would be perfect if not for the addition of the scene where Ripley finds Dallas and Brett turning into the xenomorph eggs. It's a scene I never really cared for, as it contradicts the xenomorph life cycle established by "Aliens", and even if "Alien" was a standalone movie, it still slows the pace and the sense of urgency to escape the Nostromo before it self-destructs that the TC had.

Overall, I would definitely recommend it, but it doesn't replace the Theatrical Cut for me.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
Digital
B
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
May 20, 2023
Awesome to see this edit get some love. Thanks for your review!
A
artisdead
November 30, 2023
Thanks a lot for the glowing review! I did wrestle with the decision to put the Dallas egg cocoon scene in. After releasing it and working on my Aliens edit, I have regretted it so I will release a V2 edit which will remove it for continuity reasons.

I would like to point out that the distress beacon scene was not included in my edit. It ruins the mystery and makes it more obvious to the viewer that something sinister is awaiting them.
D
darksteel1335
2 results - showing 1 - 2