FanMix April 04, 2011 6029
(Updated: January 12, 2014)
Overall rating

Audio/Video Quality

Audio Editing

Visual Editing

Narrative

Enjoyment

though alien 3 wasn't perfect it was a fitting end to ripley, unfortunately a film studio can never leave a franchise be and so ripley is now back from the dead. with alien 4 were in friday the 13th territory the franchise doesn't offer us anything new, the aliens are less scary. you could call this alien 4: a new chapter luckily this is were the sequels ended but unfortunately for us the alien films would continue with the AVP films and would get even worse.

it's always interesting when a editor takes a film that most of the fans consider to be a poor entry in the franchise and look to improve the film. and on a whole this edit succeeds in doing so though i won't get carried away by saying the edit can now stand alongside parts 1 and 2.

as others as mentioned the cuts made are on the whole flaws i did feel they were one or two moments in which the cuts were obvious but nothing to spoil my enjoyment. this is the second time i've seen the edit and when i first saw it the new ending past me by. so seeing it again i knew what to except. it's really well done but i don't think it improves the film, but it's certainly a really good alternative whenever you wish to return to the film.

for me we the audience don't know which side ripley is on at the start. this is obviously a new ripley to what we've seen before but as the film progresses i felt ripley more human side was starting to take over. with this version she openly gives herself up (as with the original) to seemingly become a monster to which she seeks to kill the crew that she's been helping to stay alive. as i said i think this is nicely done but i'd prefer to watch the cuts made with the original ending

i also don't fully understand why the footage from AVP was used, couldn't ripley have gone into the womb of alien queen from part 4 then be reborn and kill the queen? again it's nicely executed but i come away thinking why was it played out in this way (note it has been a while since i saw alien 4) because it's now ripley killing the queen alien and as i mentioned she's now seeking to kill the remaining survivors i'm left feeling a little confused regarding the character of ripley

overall this is what i'd expect from a TBTM edit technically it's of a very high standard with an ending that you either love or hate. i think the cuts improve the film up until the ending, though nicely done i say i prefer how the original played out.

User Review

Do you recommend this edit?
Yes
Format Watched?
DVD
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments