Alien 3: Q2 Edition
What I aimed to do with this cut was utilize the special edition and remove the excess while re-incorporating some of the theatrical elements. I also wanted to introduce the alien as late as possible, thus building the suspense.
DVD: DVD-SL @ 3400Kbps, Dolby Digital 5.1, Chapters
xVid: 720×405 @ 1800Kbps
- replaced 20th Century Fox logo
- cut the alien being introduced during the credits (credits had to be reconstructed from scratch) (Special Thanks to ThrowgnCpr and Zeppelinrox for pin-pointing the font and its settings)
- reorganized and trimmed the opening
- cut all scenes with Andrews in contact with the Company
- replaced the special edition ox scene with that of the dog from the theatrical cut
- cut Ripley waking next to Clemens (I always disliked this and felt it was forced)
- tweaked scene where Ripley scans herself for the alien (the alien isn’t revealed right away)
- cut Ripley’s dialog “It must have… violated me…” when talking to Dillon
- cut Ripley screaming “NOOOO!!!” when Clemen’s stays behind (I mean really… have you ever seen someone screaming “NOOOO!!!” to the heavens? Have you ever done it yourself? I thought not.)
- replaced Ripley jumping with the one from the theatrical cut
- many, many little cuts throughout to trim scenes, cut dialog and just speed things up a little
My definitive version of Alien 3.
Delivered in great HD quality and with restored workprint scenes that greatly enhance the experience.
A must for any Alien franchise fan.
I always thought Alien 3 was an under rated movie. I enjoyed it because I liked the return to a single Alien like in the first film and the terror it caused. I like the way it ran on the walls and ceiling because it was gestated in a dog - but then a few years later it became an ox and I thought - hang on an ox is nowhere near as nimble as a dog! This edit fixes that and more!
Q2 has created what I always hoped Alien 3 would be, a riveting and terrifying tale that holds true to Ridley Scott's original. About the only thing I held back a point on was for video quality - and I'm being high maintenance with this score because I've been lucky enough to buy a 70 inch flatscreen so if something isn't quite clear I will see it. I compared it to my 1080p original and it definitely showed - but if you have a smaller screen then it will look superb.
Well done Q2 for another excellent fan edit.
I promised to review this quite a while ago, so sorry to the faneditor for the delay! As it happens, TMBTM said more or less exactly what I thought about this fanedit. The cuts are sensible and well thought out, and most of them meet with my approval. This edit combines most of the best points of the theatrical and assembly cuts of Alien3, but also tightens up the film considerably. Audio is fine and the video quality is excellent. I agree with TMBTM that more trims would be welcome, especially to the dialogue, because the film still drags a little.
This edit is certainly an improvement and well worth watching, but I cannot help but feel that more could be done with this film. It’s a solid eight out of ten from me too.